The Military Museum in Cairo is famous for its rich collection and historical building which was originally a palace during the reign of Mohamed Ali, the founder of the royal family that ruled Egypt between 1805 and 1952.
It was established in 1947 after the British forces evacuated the Saladin Citadel and was officially inaugurated two years later. It was modernized in co-operation with North Korea and reopened on 29 November 1993 by President Hosni Moubarak.
The Military Museum records the history of the Egyptian army since Pharaonic times, and is divided into three wings and three storeys, each having several halls.
The first storey comprises the Al Magd Hall at the museum entrance which exhibits a royal carriage from the time of Khedive Ismail (1863-1879), the Medal Hall, the Artillery Hall and the Weapon Hall. The exhibits include the development in weaponery, military equipment and uniforms, besides 220 paintings of famous historical military battles and the most important military decorations, orders and medals
On the second storey one will find army exhibits from the Old Kingdom (Pharaonic Egypt), the Middle Kingdom and New Kingdom. Among its prominent exhibits are The Chariot of Tutankhamon of the XVIII Dynasty and a man-of-war from the Pharaonic New Kingdom (1580-1085) BC.
This storey comprises exhibits of the Islamic and the Egyptian army in particular. It also houses various models of the Islamic army conquering Egypt, as well as paintings depicting famous Islamic battles.
The museum comprises 250 statues and busts representing leaders of the Revolution and of the royal family as well as commanders of the army.